MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS BY GENRE: PART TWO

 

Movie Recommendations By Genre: Part 2

 

Hey everyone, welcome back to my recommendation series. In this article, I’ll go through 10 different movie genres and recommend one movie from that genre that anyone, irrespective of their preferences, is bound to like. This is not my typical cinephile article, where I discuss cult classics that pertain to a hyper-specific audience. In short, today I’ll discuss movies, and not films.

 

1. Action – Déjà Vu (2006)

Letterboxd average – 3.5

Rating – PG13

Runtime – 2h6min

Okay so this one was discovered by me very recently. I loved this movie, especially it’s storyline. A normal movie-goer may complain that usually action movies lack a good plot. But Déjà Vu is different. Déjà Vu’s story is it’s strongest part. Along with the dialogues. It was directed by Tony Scott, which may not have been the best decision but more on that later. It’s a mix of science fiction and mystery. The main protagonist is played by Denzel Washington. He is a cop who joins hands with the FBI in order to catch a killer. I implore you to not go and google this movie. Watch it without any context, I’m sure you’ll love it.

 

2. Crime – Crime 101 (2026)

Letterboxd average – 3.1

Rating – R

Runtime – 2h20min

As the name suggests, this is literally a crime movie. It’s fairly recent too. I went and watched it in theatres, expecting it to be something like Heat or Collateral. While Crime 101 did not match up to Michael Mann’s level, it was still a good watch nonetheless. It’s sleek, suave, and stylish. Probably one of those movies which you’ll watch and forget. But still, not a bad movie by a long shot. The Letterboxd rating may not be justified, but trust me and give this movie a chance.

 

3. Comedy – Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)

Letterboxd average – 3.7

Rating – R

Runtime – 1h43min

Okay wait, hear me out, this is not a dirty movie (Sorry Ricky Gervais!). As dirty as it sounds, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is actually a crime comedy movie where the main character, played by none other than Robert Downey Jr. is a small time crook who accidentally gets entagled in a preposterous mess along with his first love. The movie absolutely tickles all the funny bones. It is bizarre, it is weird, it is satisfying. Maybe the average non American movie-goer might have to pause to understand the jokes, but it’s definitely worth it if you understand the American slang. Give it a try!

 

4. Drama – A Man Called Otto (2022)

Letterboxd average – 3.7

Rating – PG13

Runtime – 2h6min

This is one of the best drama movies I’ve ever watched. It is sweet, simple and gives you a slice of life kind of vibes. Again, I’d implore you to not read the synopsis and just watch it with your entire family. It doesn’t have any big villains, background music, big love angle, nothing of that sorts. It’s just a simple Tom Hanks movie about a man who discovers a reason to live. The starting few minutes may seem boring, but bear with the movie. It’s a feel good drama so feel free to watch it when you’re not in a good mood.

 

5. Fantasy – Constantine (2005)

Letterboxd average – 3.5

Rating – R

Runtime – 2h1min

Okay, Constantine may blur the lines between Horror and Thriller, but it is surely a fantasy movie that deals with biblical figures and stories. On the surface it may look like an original storyline but it is actually a comic book superhero movie. John Constantine is a very famous superhero created by DC Comics. This movie is not an origin story for John Constantine. It just depicts one of his cases. Apparently they’re also making a sequel to it, for which I am really excited. But don’t worry you have ample amounts of time before the sequel arrives. In the meanwhile, I’d also not recommend this movie if you are a devout Christian as it may or may not hurt your sentiments.

 

6. Horror – The Ritual (2017)

Letterboxd average – 3.2

Rating – R

Runtime – 1h34min

Coming to actual Horror, I would have to go with this one. It isn’t actually all terrifying, but if you have the patience then the ending is really worth it. The director builds up the story bit by bit and then leaves you with a scar in the end. Unlike other movies here, you can go ahead and read the synopsis. It isn’t much to go with, but it still manages to give you a good scare. Although if you are a true horror fan you may or may not appreciate this movie. Nevertheless, for the general audience reading this, it’s perfect for a late night watch with friends.

 

7. Mystery – The Housemaid (2025)

Letterboxd average – 3.1

Rating – R

Runtime – 2h13min

Okay this one may not be completely unknown. It’s also a fairly recent movie. And it’s not a complete detective or cop mystery movie per se. Rather I would go with psychological thriller. But you do question the character’s actions till the end. Again, if it’s a mystery movie, do not read the synopsis. Watch it blindly without expecting anything. If you like Sydney Sweeney, then definitely do watch it. If you like Amanda Seyfried, also definitely do watch it. Both of them did an amazing job. Mystery and thriller movies are also heavily dependant on how the actor acts. Safe to say that in The Housemaid, the acting is just as good as the storyline. Maybe better. There might be a few plot holes here and there, but if you can ignore it it’s a great movie to watch on date night! :D

 

8. Romance – Jerry Maguire (1996)

Letterboxd average – 3.6

Rating – R

Runtime – 2h19min

As my loyal readers would know, Romance has always been a tough area for me. Not because I suffered some trauma, but because I generally don’t watch a lot of romance movies. But one night I did, and I selected one of Tom Cruise’s best. Jerry Maguire was an absolute gem. There is a story, there’s emotions, there’s also a message. Overall a really cute film that you’d like. The girls will definitely like it because of the plot, and the boys would like it because it has Tom Cruise in it. Personally, I am really glad that I found a new romance movie to suggest to people.

 

9. Science Fiction – The Creator (2023)

Letterboxd average – 3.3

Rating – PG13

Runtime – 2h13min

I am really surprised why this movie did not do well in cinemas. It’s actually really good. Sure, maybe it is pro-AI and pro-robot, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. At the core, the story is really deep rooted in some intense philosophical ideas. The theme can be analyzed. It’s actually a very intelligent and well made movie with good CGI too. John David Washington carries the whole thing. In this era of AI and unemployment, maybe a lot of you might not appreciate the plot, but try watching it without any biases. I also absolutely loved the romantic subplot. Somehow even though the characters share very little screen time with each other, their chemistry is very strong.

 

10. Thriller – Insomnia (2002)

Letterboxd average – 3.6

Rating – R

Runtime – 1h58min

Believe it or not, this is actually a Christopher Nolan movie. And this was his third movie after Memento. It wasn’t really a box office success, but it’s considered a cult classic. Al Pacino plays the good guy, a sleep deprived detective in Alaska where nights and days blur the lines, while Robin Williams plays the antagonist. What may sound even more unbelievable is that this may be the only movie I’ve watched in which I absolutely despised Robin William’s character. I’ll warn you though, the movie is slow-burn and a little depressing. But unlike other Christopher Nolan movies it’s not difficult to follow. Rather it is a pretty straightforward story about a cop chasing a killer. Special mention to Hillary Swank because she absolutely ate her role.

 

So that was it folks, I hope this was helpful to the generic audience. I’ll be back soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIES FROM 10 DIFFERENT GENRES THAT YOU MUST WATCH

TOP 10 MOVIE SCORES

MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS BY GENRE: PART 1